March 19, 2018 05:49 AM PDT
Wow! 150 episodes and going strong. Omar (cofounder of IT Babble) joins Patrick and Tony for this episode.
1) Social media in schools
a) Should it be used at all?
b) Instant messaging vs Social media
c) If yes, how should it be used?
d) Etiquette vs Ethics?
e) FOMO vs JOMO?
f) The Man Who Knew Too Littleby Sam Dolnick of the NY Times - https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/10/style/the-man-who-knew-too-little.html
g) Eduro Learning Discussion about social media - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzCUtMDKhSY
h) Tony’s post - https://itbabble.com/2018/03/18/its-time-to-regulate-social-media-in-schools/
2) 1:1 Programs in schools - Mobile Devices vs Laptop
a) Is a Chromebook a mobile device or a laptop
b) Remix OS - http://www.jide.com/remixos-for-mobile
c) Samsung DEX - http://www.samsung.com/global/galaxy/apps/samsung-dex/
d) Omar’s prediction - modular design
3) Eye strain because we are so connected
Kids are being given iPads and numerous tasks on devices (screen time)
b) F.Lux - https://justgetflux.com/
c) Reading mode on mobile device
4) Handwriting - Should we continue to focus on it?
a) Studies show a link between writing on paper and stronger “connections”
March 15, 2018 08:20 AM PDT
1) Where’s Omar?
2) The real reason we ban cell phones by Scott Mcleod of Dangerously Irrelevant
b) Check out the comments
3)New Raspberry Pi B
a) Dual band WiFi
b) Faster processor
c) $35 - https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspberry-pi-3-model-bplus-sale-now-35/
d) Tony’s issues with Arduino boards and MacBooks
February 26, 2018 07:22 AM PST
1) Wikispaces is going away
b) Did you ever use Wikispace
2) Anchor - A review by Patrick
b) Podcasting service
3) Useless technology
b) What useless technology does your school have?
4) Network monitoring
a) Jennifer Abrams - http://jenniferabrams.com/
February 14, 2018 01:25 PM PST
1) Happy Olympics and Valentine’s Day!
2) Smarthphones - Let’s experiment and see by Patrick
b) Tony how is your experiment going?
3) Devices - Students, teachers, schools by Patrick
b) Tony’s thoughts
4) School Shooting Simulation Software (and the Problem with How People Define ‘Ed Tech’) by Audrey Watters of Hackeducation
b) Should we consider Ed tech to such a broad degree?
5) Gmail extensions - do you use any?
January 29, 2018 11:13 AM PST
Tony and Patrick are at it again. Check out the talking notes for this show!
1) Mobile Phone Shutdown by Tony DePrato
c) A solution for a school in Massachusetts: http://m.wbtv.com/story/37349086/ma-school-locks-students-cell-phones-in-pouches
d) Jumpcloud - https://jumpcloud.com/
e) Yondr - https://www.overyondr.com/howitworks/
f) Laptops and Phones In The Classroom: Yea, Nay or a Third Way? By Anya Kamenetz from NPR: https://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2018/01/24/578437957/laptops-and-phones-in-the-classroom-yea-nay-or-a-third-way?utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=npred
2) MySimpleShow.com - A review by Patrick Cauley
a) The good, the bad and the boring
b) Should schools use it?
3) Tony’s Macbook Pro hell
a) MacBook Pro’s when update to High Sierra (10.13)
b) Loses WiFi connectivity
c) Up to 2 hours per computer to fix
4) Two different takes on a study from Emotion
a) The study: http://psycnet.apa.org/doiLanding?doi=10.1037%2Femo0000403
b) Study: Being a Teen Sucks Right Now by Ed Cara of Gizmodo
d) Screen time: Mental health menace or scapegoat? by Michael Nedelman of CNN
f) A Day in the Life of an MIT student - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMyKOkyAjUQ
4) Could a Messy Desk Make You a Better Teacher by Julie Blume Benedict
b)s Omar right?
January 19, 2018 11:37 AM PST
1) Happy New Year and Welcome Back
2) It’s not just Logan Paul - the moral compass of social media is broken by Katherine Cross of The Verge
c) Should platforms be ultimately responsible for moderation of content
d) How should schools address this issue?
3) Patrick’s Review of Canva
4) Tony’s angry at Gmail and Google Groups
a) Tony is trying to message to all parents using Google Groups
b) Google Groups limits to 100 external emails to be added per day
c) Gmail BBC can hold up to 2000 emails
d) Google Support & MailChimp as solutions
5) Patrick’s take on gaming disorder
b) This won’t last
c) Behavioral Addiction - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Behavioral_addiction
December 19, 2017 11:00 AM PST
This episode Tony and Patrick talk about the latest and greatest ed tech topics plus Patrick's kids pop in to say hi.
1) Much Cheaper iPad Expected in 2018 by Henry T. Casey of laptopmag.com
b) Will this help vs the Chromebook in schools?
2) France to impose total ban on mobile phones in schools by Henry Samuel of the Telegraph
b) Could they actually do this?
c) istraction for schools?
d) FOMO - Fear of Missing Out https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear_of_missing_out
3) Chromageddon Come Down: Educators are Wary After Thousands of Google Devices Fail by Sydney Johnson of edsurge.com
b) Schools here called it Chrompocalypse which is a better name
c) Should schools be deterred by this?
December 06, 2017 10:26 AM PST
1) The buzz be gone!
2) Kiddom - A newish LMS for the classroom
a) An overview video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpwIXxd3nHI
b) A Silicon Valley startup is quietly taking over U.S. Classrooms by Kia Kokalitcheva from Aixos
c) Standards driven
3) Why Perfect Grades Don’t Matter - A Youtube video by The Atlantic
4) What is STEAM Education and Why It is the New Engine of the Future Job Market? By Karol Górnowicz CEO of Skriware
c) MIT Fab Lab - http://fab.cba.mit.edu/
d) Lucid Chart - https://www.lucidchart.com/
November 26, 2017 11:26 AM PST
Tony and Patrick are back for some great ed tech analysis and discussions. Check out our agenda below.
1) Happy Thanksgiving!
2) The Push for Education Programs that Pay People as They Learn by Lolade Fadulu
a) Apprenticeships sound like a good idea
b) Down sides?
c) Does it take away a person’s choice?
3) Does Educational Technology need to be its own discipline in universities?
a) Contours of a New Discipline by Carl Straumsheim
b) Disciplining Education Technology by Audrey Watters of Hackeducation
4) Apple’s ‘Everyone Can Code’ initiative expands to colleges and universities outside the US by Jon Russell at Techcrunch
a) Should high school be doing this?
b) Problems with Apple’s Swift Coding
November 06, 2017 06:02 AM PST
1. Canadian Schools Silence Teachers on Social Media by Andrew Campbell from his blog Looking Up
a.What’s the policy like at your school
b.Trampling on free speech or do schools and districts have the right?
c. How should schools treat this issue?
2. The fight against racist algorithms by Tolulope Edionwe from the Outline
a.Tips for teachers and schools
b.Other sources of information
c.Faceapp - https://www.faceapp.com/
3. How school leaders can combat ‘filter bubbles’ and ‘fake news’ by Scott McLeod from Dangerously Irrelevant
a. Kids and being obsessed with their phones
Tristan Harris - https://journal.thriveglobal.com/how-technology-hijacks-peoples-minds-from-a-magician-and-google-s-design-ethicist-56d62ef5edf3