June 11, 2018 08:29 AM PDT
1) In 2018, Windows died at home and nobody cared by Jason Perlow of ZDNET
b) K-12 and Higher education still uses laptops/desktops
2) Your Smartphone is the Best Computer You Own by David Pierce NO
b) Schools typically follow business
c) Should schools ditch laptops for “mobile” devices
3) iPads vs. Chromebooks: Part 2 by Patrick Cauley
b) Chromebooks it is!
c) Interesting results of the student survey
4) The accidental BYOD solution by Tony DePrato
b) Amazon Workspaces
c) Amazon Education - https://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/?&docId=1000412651
d) WINE for Ubuntu - https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu
May 23, 2018 07:22 AM PDT
1) The best gadgets are the ones you know how to use by Dieter Bohn
b) This applies to schools: hardware, software, SIS, gradebooks, etc.
c) When is it good to make those changes?
2) Access Denied: Controlling What Students Can Access by Tony DePrato
3) iPads vs. Chromebooks update
a) Tony’s testing with Amazon Work Spaces
b)Tony tested Windows 10 with Amazon Work Spaces on a Chromebook
c) It works
4) End OF YEAR Process
May 08, 2018 09:41 AM PDT
1) Tony’s knee surgery
2) Apple’s MacBook Pro recall
a) Battery Recall
3) Google Forms & Sheets - Olympic Scoring series - by Patrick Cauley
b) Schools and spreadsheets - is this more important than coding?
c) A good starting point for programming
d) Spreadsheets have limits
e) Office 365 - Sharepoint - f) https://products.office.com/en-us/sharepoint/sharepoint-online-collaboration-software
4) How to Increase Pay - No More Summers Off! By Ronnie Burt
b) Comments are good in the post
c) Pay vs Working Conditions
d) Is pay really the talking point or a distraction
April 23, 2018 02:36 PM PDT
1) Amazon WorkSpaces
b) Pricing - https://aws.amazon.com/workspaces/pricing/
2) Don’t buy Nintendo Labo - by Patrick Cauley
b) Too costly
c) One time use
3) Computer Science, Programming, and Coding Standards by Grade Level by Tony DePrato
b) STE - NETS- https://www.iste.org/standards/for-students
4) iPads vs. Chromebooks: Part 1 - 2018 by Patrick
b) Following the data
c) Discussing with stakeholders
5) Apple Classroom update
a) We are rolling the newer version next year
b) It’s nice
April 09, 2018 02:00 PM PDT
1) Apple’s education event
a) New iPad
b) New software
c) Does this make the iPad relevant in education again?
2) Kaizena Chrome extension
3) Tech Support Problems, Apathy, & Solutions by Tony DePrato
b) What is your system?
c) Google Script - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bB21M4eiafO7g3ZHImhB37m58EYRWC8tuf2ByO-i3W4/edit?usp=sharing
4) Solutions vs. Support
a) Purchasing technology that you can service vs having to pay for service
b) Example: Sound solutions in a classroom
March 19, 2018 05:49 AM PDT
Wow! 150 episodes and going strong. Omar (cofounder of IT Babble) joins Patrick and Tony for this episode.
1) Social media in schools
a) Should it be used at all?
b) Instant messaging vs Social media
c) If yes, how should it be used?
d) Etiquette vs Ethics?
e) FOMO vs JOMO?
f) The Man Who Knew Too Littleby Sam Dolnick of the NY Times - https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/10/style/the-man-who-knew-too-little.html
g) Eduro Learning Discussion about social media - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzCUtMDKhSY
h) Tony’s post - https://itbabble.com/2018/03/18/its-time-to-regulate-social-media-in-schools/
2) 1:1 Programs in schools - Mobile Devices vs Laptop
a) Is a Chromebook a mobile device or a laptop
b) Remix OS - http://www.jide.com/remixos-for-mobile
c) Samsung DEX - http://www.samsung.com/global/galaxy/apps/samsung-dex/
d) Omar’s prediction - modular design
3) Eye strain because we are so connected
Kids are being given iPads and numerous tasks on devices (screen time)
b) F.Lux - https://justgetflux.com/
c) Reading mode on mobile device
4) Handwriting - Should we continue to focus on it?
a) Studies show a link between writing on paper and stronger “connections”
March 15, 2018 08:20 AM PDT
1) Where’s Omar?
2) The real reason we ban cell phones by Scott Mcleod of Dangerously Irrelevant
b) Check out the comments
3)New Raspberry Pi B
a) Dual band WiFi
b) Faster processor
c) $35 - https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspberry-pi-3-model-bplus-sale-now-35/
d) Tony’s issues with Arduino boards and MacBooks
February 26, 2018 07:22 AM PST
1) Wikispaces is going away
b) Did you ever use Wikispace
2) Anchor - A review by Patrick
b) Podcasting service
3) Useless technology
b) What useless technology does your school have?
4) Network monitoring
a) Jennifer Abrams - http://jenniferabrams.com/
February 14, 2018 01:25 PM PST
1) Happy Olympics and Valentine’s Day!
2) Smarthphones - Let’s experiment and see by Patrick
b) Tony how is your experiment going?
3) Devices - Students, teachers, schools by Patrick
b) Tony’s thoughts
4) School Shooting Simulation Software (and the Problem with How People Define ‘Ed Tech’) by Audrey Watters of Hackeducation
b) Should we consider Ed tech to such a broad degree?
5) Gmail extensions - do you use any?
January 29, 2018 11:13 AM PST
Tony and Patrick are at it again. Check out the talking notes for this show!
1) Mobile Phone Shutdown by Tony DePrato
c) A solution for a school in Massachusetts: http://m.wbtv.com/story/37349086/ma-school-locks-students-cell-phones-in-pouches
d) Jumpcloud - https://jumpcloud.com/
e) Yondr - https://www.overyondr.com/howitworks/
f) Laptops and Phones In The Classroom: Yea, Nay or a Third Way? By Anya Kamenetz from NPR: https://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2018/01/24/578437957/laptops-and-phones-in-the-classroom-yea-nay-or-a-third-way?utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=npred
2) MySimpleShow.com - A review by Patrick Cauley
a) The good, the bad and the boring
b) Should schools use it?
3) Tony’s Macbook Pro hell
a) MacBook Pro’s when update to High Sierra (10.13)
b) Loses WiFi connectivity
c) Up to 2 hours per computer to fix
4) Two different takes on a study from Emotion
a) The study: http://psycnet.apa.org/doiLanding?doi=10.1037%2Femo0000403
b) Study: Being a Teen Sucks Right Now by Ed Cara of Gizmodo
d) Screen time: Mental health menace or scapegoat? by Michael Nedelman of CNN
f) A Day in the Life of an MIT student - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMyKOkyAjUQ
4) Could a Messy Desk Make You a Better Teacher by Julie Blume Benedict
b)s Omar right?