April 15, 2019 04:44 PM PDT
1) Spring break stories
a) iPad apocalypse
2) Windows Lite
a) https://www.windowscentral.com/microsofts-windows-lite-project-gets-new-codename by Zac Bowden - Windows Central
b) Its own Chromebook like device
c) Very early reports - unsure if this will ever happen
3)Steam/Stem Core Skills by Tony DePrato
b) Appropriate skills for grade levels
4) Self Checkout with a Chromebook! By Patrick Cauley
b) Reasons to do this?
5) Make your own flashcards with Google Sheets by Patrick Cauley
b) Flippity - https://flippity.net/
c) Versatile for many different tasks
6) Tony and Patrick discuss movies/Game of Thrones
March 11, 2019 04:31 PM PDT
1) Tony’s travel tips
a) Carry ons - you know the size!
b) Fast Food on domestic flights - terrible smell
c) Headphones all the time - Bumbling bumblers
2) Linking Google Slides by Patrick Cauley
b) Works with charts and graphs from Sheets
3) HoloLens 2
a) For industry more than education or consumer
4) Momo challenge
a) Streisand effect - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Streisand_effect
b) Why do schools feel they need to take action on these known hoaxes?
c) Slenderman - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slender_Man
d) 2016 Clown sightings - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_clown_sightings
e) Do a little research before acting
Watch out for real scams such as phishing emails and fake calls
February 11, 2019 04:39 PM PST
1) Tony’s holiday
2) Finally - displays are moving in the right direction by Patrick
b) Not overthinking it
3) CAPTCHAS suck
a) BUSES! FRICKING BUSES!!
b) Filling in an online form for an event at school
c) CAPTCHAS - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAPTCHA
4) Report Cards - Hell on Earth? Or Really Helpful Documents?
a) Long format unnecessary?
b) Standards vs Grades
January 15, 2019 04:48 PM PST
1) Virtual Reality - I am hopeful for its future by Patrick Cauley
b) PSVR - https://www.playstation.com/en-us/explore/playstation-vr/
2) Story Time with Uncle Tony -
Facebook copy and paste text to see posts from old friends
a) Afraid to copy and paste
b) Tony retyped it in TextEdit - instead of copy and paste
c) Facebook linking these accounts due to same content (hypothesis)
3) Consumer Electronics Show 2019
a) Samsung’s MicroLED - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MicroLED
b) LG rollable TV - https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2018/12/17/18145866/lg-rollable-tv-ces-2019-commercial-sale
c) New laptops
d) LG Gram
e) Cheaper Chromebooks
f) Lenovo Laptops
g) Apple Airplay on most TV’s
December 30, 2018 01:25 PM PST
1) Good article or Facebook hit piece?
Beware Silicon Valley’s Gifts to Our Schools
2) Tony loves the new Ubuntu, more arguments for a Chrome Based environment and App Stream- OR - just Ubuntu and Amazon without Google Overlords
b) App Stream runs well - https://aws.amazon.com/appstream2/
3) Crisis plan for IT departments
You Need Power or You’re Gonna Have a Bad Time
b)What happens in a bad day?
3) AI Still Sucks
Service that monitors G Suite and Office 365 schools.
a) It looks at email and Google Drive/OneDrive documents
b)Can read text in pictures
c) Looks for drug mentions, violence or gun use, self harm, profanity and cyber bullying
d) 91,661 issues reported - none that require any action from administration
How to understand it:
November 21, 2018 08:20 AM PST
1) Apple’s New Hardware
a) MacBook Air - https://www.apple.com/macbook-air/
b) Mac Mini - https://www.apple.com/mac-mini/
c) iPad Pro - https://www.apple.com/ipad-pro/
2) VR Headset
My Hands On Experience
a) Lenovo Mirage Solo - https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/virtual-reality-and-smart-devices/virtual-and-augmented-reality/lenovo-mirage-solo/Mirage-Solo/p/ZZIRZRHVR01
b) Not ready for mainstream anything
3) Google and LDAP
b) Pricing - https://cloud.google.com/identity-cp/
c) LDAP - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightweight_Directory_Access_Protocol
October 28, 2018 09:25 AM PDT
1) Apple, Microsoft and Amazon’s events
a) Apple - https://www.macrumors.com/2018/09/12/everything-apple-announced-2018-iphone-event/
b) Microsoft - 3) https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/2/17923080/microsoft-event-2018-announcements-news-surface-laptop-windows-10-updates
c) Amazon - https://www.theverge.com/2018/9/20/17882582/amazon-event-september-2018-echo-alexa-speaker-news
New Apple Event - October 30th
Project Streaming - a) https://projectstream.google.com/aco/invite
3) Predictions, Patience and Observations by Patrick
b) Beware of predictions and getting “caught up” in the moment.
4) Tony topic: Scheduling - Don’t be a trendsetter.
a) Steve Jobs Lost Interview - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBh5_j4a1yo
b) Timetable: https://www.asctimetables.com/
September 14, 2018 01:39 PM PDT
1) School’s back in session!
2) Goals for this year?
3) New tech for this year?
a)Amazon App Stream
c) Make sure you have educational pricing -
d) contact Tony for support
e) Laser Printer - https://glowforge.com/
4) Apple Event this week - anything we would like to see?
5) Windows Surface Go
b) Lenovo YogaBook 2
They have a TEEN Program:
July 23, 2018 06:35 AM PDT
1) World Cup Fever & 4th of July
2) Important High Sierra Changes for IT Admins by Adam Engst of TidBITS
b) It is very hard to do
c) MDM Solutions - Why pay to push out a free image
d) Mac Migration Assistant - https://support.apple.com/en-us/ht204350
e) Mac OS Server - https://www.apple.com/macos/server/
f) Deploy Studio - http://www.deploystudio.com/
3) Tech Savvy, Are You Sure? By Tony DePrato
b) Thinking long term
c) Making tactical decisions
Wireless streaming for a mixed environment
b) Set up
c) Digital signage
d) Cloud management
e) $249-$299 USD
f) Who is this good for?
g) Barco - http://www.barco.com
5) Chromebook monitoring tools - GoGuardian vs Netop
c) What’s the same?
d) What’s different
e) What my school went with?
June 11, 2018 08:29 AM PDT
1) In 2018, Windows died at home and nobody cared by Jason Perlow of ZDNET
b) K-12 and Higher education still uses laptops/desktops
2) Your Smartphone is the Best Computer You Own by David Pierce NO
b) Schools typically follow business
c) Should schools ditch laptops for “mobile” devices
3) iPads vs. Chromebooks: Part 2 by Patrick Cauley
b) Chromebooks it is!
c) Interesting results of the student survey
4) The accidental BYOD solution by Tony DePrato
b) Amazon Workspaces
c) Amazon Education - https://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/?&docId=1000412651
d) WINE for Ubuntu - https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu