January 16, 2021 07:33 AM PST
1) Snow day and football
2) How can we be independent from big tech companies?
a) Independent hosting services GoDaddy, Blue Host
3) Teachers teaching from home
a) What they wanted vs what they got
4) Blue Yeti Microphone
5) YouTube Playlist
a) Great for collecting, sharing and collaborating on resources
December 16, 2020 04:15 AM PST
1) Happy holidays
a) Tony’s advice - Unplug from the media/social networks
b) Read eBooks on your smartphone
2) Covid updates
a) Back to SCHOOL in Indy!
3) Adios Adobe Flash by Patrick Cauley
b) Patrick’s trip into Flash gaming
3) Apple’s new MacBooks with the M1
a) Why shouldn’t schools go this route?
b) Apple has better updates
4) Streaming to the next level!
b) Lord Vader knows all about bandwidth, jitter and latency
November 21, 2020 03:05 PM PST
1) Patrick’s new phone (coming soon)
2) Distance yourself from tech and social media for your own health
3) Wordpress.com block editor - Rant
4) Chromebook camera failures
a) Chrome OS update
b) Doesn’t affect all Chromebooks
c) Alt + V Zoom work around
5) Record All Online Meetings with Apple OSX by Tony DePrato
a) Stay away
b) Review by Patrick Cauley
c) Tony is incapable of drawing a triangle
7) Big Sur issues
8) Ordering Chromebook loophole
a) Dell Chromebooks
b) Enterprise Chromebooks as an option
October 22, 2020 08:13 AM PDT
Patrick interviews Tony DePrato about his HIFLEX set up in the classroom.
HIFLEX is a term that refers to students who are in the classroom and also at home and both are learning synchronously.
Tony utilizes iPads and a few other items and tools to bring this affordable solution to life.
September 14, 2020 05:43 PM PDT
1) Back at school in a COVID world
a) Tony’s motto: “You have to think of every student as a virtual student that occasionally comes to school and if you do that your planning will fit every scenario.”
b) GoGuardian: https://www.goguardian.com
c) Cisco Umbrella: https://security.umbrella.com
2) Why your online streaming is bad and mine is good
a) iPad solution
b) Euro Mic Stand with Klip
c) Disable iPad audio
d) DJ Podiums
e) iPad is a “person” in the meeting
3) Virtual Parent Conferences
b) Prep with teachers and parents
c) Google Meet deadline - Sept
ember 20, 2020
4) Streaming in the Classroom - Final verdict!
a) Windows schools - Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter
b) Mac schools - Apple TV
c) BYOD schools - BenQ Instashow/Barco WePresent
April 20, 2020 09:49 AM PDT
Happy Easter/Spring Break
b) Zoom and privacy
c) Zoom alternative
e) Zoom Basic (non-compliance) vs.
f) Zoom K-12 (FERPA, COPPA, HIPPA compliant)
2) Cybersecurity Part 5 - Where Did Your Resources
3) Graduation 2020?
a)July in person graduation
b) What does a virtual graduation look like?
c) Not popular
d) Not a good product
e) Think about music, time, speeches
March 22, 2020 06:38 AM PDT
1) Distance Learning Plan
a) So much to talk about here
b) Be asynchronous
c) Front load the content
d) Elementary and Early Childhood -
e) Choice boards
2) How is Microsoft Teams?
a) What do we think doesn’t work?
4) Great resource from Mark Stone and Elvin Aliyev in Azerbaijan
b) Distance Learning Resource
5) Video Conference Options
c) Google Hangouts Meet
March 10, 2020 05:02 PM PDT
1) Online learning, biggest issue I am seeing: controlling students vs lesson prep
a) Behavior problems online are not tech problems
b) Be realistic - it cannot be business as usual
c) Daily touchpoints for teachers and administration
d) How often do students need to be online with the teacher?
2) Chinese students try but fail…
a) Funny story, but again Social Media thinks it is real.
3) ViewSonic Viewboard - Awesome, but don’t get sucked in.
4) Sneaky, sneaky kids and electronic tests by Patrick Cauley
February 10, 2020 04:08 PM PST
1) Tony’s post: Flipped without permission
b) Basic rules
d) Platform options
e) Learning Management System
f) Record content
g) Microsoft Teams/Slack (middle school-high school)
h) Avoid the need for a VPN
i) Daily check in with department
j) Weekly check in with administration
2) Social Media is horrible- Coronavirus is more proof
a) Do your own homework
b) Trust vetted sources
3) Emergency Tech in the Go Bag
b) USB Cords
d) Battery pack (you can try)
e) Two external hard drives
f) International power adapters
g) No Chromebook
h) Core documents
January 27, 2020 02:35 PM PST
1) RIP Kobe Bryant
2) Parent Portals
a) How to get parents to use them more
b) Only use one portal - avoid fragmentation
c) Consistency with the portal for teachers and faculty
d) Survey coming soon (next few months)
3) Tony wants to rant on vendors: Managebac
4) Microsoft’s new Edge browser
a) Based on Chromium
b) Microsoft Chromebook? Edgebook?
d) Cast tab content