November 21, 2018 08:20 AM PST
1) Apple’s New Hardware
a) MacBook Air - https://www.apple.com/macbook-air/
b) Mac Mini - https://www.apple.com/mac-mini/
c) iPad Pro - https://www.apple.com/ipad-pro/
2) VR Headset
My Hands On Experience
a) Lenovo Mirage Solo - https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/virtual-reality-and-smart-devices/virtual-and-augmented-reality/lenovo-mirage-solo/Mirage-Solo/p/ZZIRZRHVR01
b) Not ready for mainstream anything
3) Google and LDAP
b) Pricing - https://cloud.google.com/identity-cp/
c) LDAP - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightweight_Directory_Access_Protocol
October 28, 2018 09:25 AM PDT
1) Apple, Microsoft and Amazon’s events
a) Apple - https://www.macrumors.com/2018/09/12/everything-apple-announced-2018-iphone-event/
b) Microsoft - 3) https://www.theverge.com/2018/10/2/17923080/microsoft-event-2018-announcements-news-surface-laptop-windows-10-updates
c) Amazon - https://www.theverge.com/2018/9/20/17882582/amazon-event-september-2018-echo-alexa-speaker-news
New Apple Event - October 30th
Project Streaming - a) https://projectstream.google.com/aco/invite
3) Predictions, Patience and Observations by Patrick
b) Beware of predictions and getting “caught up” in the moment.
4) Tony topic: Scheduling - Don’t be a trendsetter.
a) Steve Jobs Lost Interview - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBh5_j4a1yo
b) Timetable: https://www.asctimetables.com/
September 14, 2018 01:39 PM PDT
1) School’s back in session!
2) Goals for this year?
3) New tech for this year?
a)Amazon App Stream
c) Make sure you have educational pricing -
d) contact Tony for support
e) Laser Printer - https://glowforge.com/
4) Apple Event this week - anything we would like to see?
5) Windows Surface Go
b) Lenovo YogaBook 2
They have a TEEN Program:
July 23, 2018 06:35 AM PDT
1) World Cup Fever & 4th of July
2) Important High Sierra Changes for IT Admins by Adam Engst of TidBITS
b) It is very hard to do
c) MDM Solutions - Why pay to push out a free image
d) Mac Migration Assistant - https://support.apple.com/en-us/ht204350
e) Mac OS Server - https://www.apple.com/macos/server/
f) Deploy Studio - http://www.deploystudio.com/
3) Tech Savvy, Are You Sure? By Tony DePrato
b) Thinking long term
c) Making tactical decisions
Wireless streaming for a mixed environment
b) Set up
c) Digital signage
d) Cloud management
e) $249-$299 USD
f) Who is this good for?
g) Barco - http://www.barco.com
5) Chromebook monitoring tools - GoGuardian vs Netop
c) What’s the same?
d) What’s different
e) What my school went with?
June 11, 2018 08:29 AM PDT
1) In 2018, Windows died at home and nobody cared by Jason Perlow of ZDNET
b) K-12 and Higher education still uses laptops/desktops
2) Your Smartphone is the Best Computer You Own by David Pierce NO
b) Schools typically follow business
c) Should schools ditch laptops for “mobile” devices
3) iPads vs. Chromebooks: Part 2 by Patrick Cauley
b) Chromebooks it is!
c) Interesting results of the student survey
4) The accidental BYOD solution by Tony DePrato
b) Amazon Workspaces
c) Amazon Education - https://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/?&docId=1000412651
d) WINE for Ubuntu - https://wiki.winehq.org/Ubuntu
May 23, 2018 07:22 AM PDT
1) The best gadgets are the ones you know how to use by Dieter Bohn
b) This applies to schools: hardware, software, SIS, gradebooks, etc.
c) When is it good to make those changes?
2) Access Denied: Controlling What Students Can Access by Tony DePrato
3) iPads vs. Chromebooks update
a) Tony’s testing with Amazon Work Spaces
b)Tony tested Windows 10 with Amazon Work Spaces on a Chromebook
c) It works
4) End OF YEAR Process
May 08, 2018 09:41 AM PDT
1) Tony’s knee surgery
2) Apple’s MacBook Pro recall
a) Battery Recall
3) Google Forms & Sheets - Olympic Scoring series - by Patrick Cauley
b) Schools and spreadsheets - is this more important than coding?
c) A good starting point for programming
d) Spreadsheets have limits
e) Office 365 - Sharepoint - f) https://products.office.com/en-us/sharepoint/sharepoint-online-collaboration-software
4) How to Increase Pay - No More Summers Off! By Ronnie Burt
b) Comments are good in the post
c) Pay vs Working Conditions
d) Is pay really the talking point or a distraction
April 23, 2018 02:36 PM PDT
1) Amazon WorkSpaces
b) Pricing - https://aws.amazon.com/workspaces/pricing/
2) Don’t buy Nintendo Labo - by Patrick Cauley
b) Too costly
c) One time use
3) Computer Science, Programming, and Coding Standards by Grade Level by Tony DePrato
b) STE - NETS- https://www.iste.org/standards/for-students
4) iPads vs. Chromebooks: Part 1 - 2018 by Patrick
b) Following the data
c) Discussing with stakeholders
5) Apple Classroom update
a) We are rolling the newer version next year
b) It’s nice
April 09, 2018 02:00 PM PDT
1) Apple’s education event
a) New iPad
b) New software
c) Does this make the iPad relevant in education again?
2) Kaizena Chrome extension
3) Tech Support Problems, Apathy, & Solutions by Tony DePrato
b) What is your system?
c) Google Script - https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bB21M4eiafO7g3ZHImhB37m58EYRWC8tuf2ByO-i3W4/edit?usp=sharing
4) Solutions vs. Support
a) Purchasing technology that you can service vs having to pay for service
b) Example: Sound solutions in a classroom
March 19, 2018 05:49 AM PDT
Wow! 150 episodes and going strong. Omar (cofounder of IT Babble) joins Patrick and Tony for this episode.
1) Social media in schools
a) Should it be used at all?
b) Instant messaging vs Social media
c) If yes, how should it be used?
d) Etiquette vs Ethics?
e) FOMO vs JOMO?
f) The Man Who Knew Too Littleby Sam Dolnick of the NY Times - https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/10/style/the-man-who-knew-too-little.html
g) Eduro Learning Discussion about social media - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzCUtMDKhSY
h) Tony’s post - https://itbabble.com/2018/03/18/its-time-to-regulate-social-media-in-schools/
2) 1:1 Programs in schools - Mobile Devices vs Laptop
a) Is a Chromebook a mobile device or a laptop
b) Remix OS - http://www.jide.com/remixos-for-mobile
c) Samsung DEX - http://www.samsung.com/global/galaxy/apps/samsung-dex/
d) Omar’s prediction - modular design
3) Eye strain because we are so connected
Kids are being given iPads and numerous tasks on devices (screen time)
b) F.Lux - https://justgetflux.com/
c) Reading mode on mobile device
4) Handwriting - Should we continue to focus on it?
a) Studies show a link between writing on paper and stronger “connections”