February 26, 2018 07:22 AM PST
1) Wikispaces is going away
b) Did you ever use Wikispace
2) Anchor - A review by Patrick
b) Podcasting service
3) Useless technology
b) What useless technology does your school have?
4) Network monitoring
a) Jennifer Abrams - http://jenniferabrams.com/
February 14, 2018 01:25 PM PST
1) Happy Olympics and Valentine’s Day!
2) Smarthphones - Let’s experiment and see by Patrick
b) Tony how is your experiment going?
3) Devices - Students, teachers, schools by Patrick
b) Tony’s thoughts
4) School Shooting Simulation Software (and the Problem with How People Define ‘Ed Tech’) by Audrey Watters of Hackeducation
b) Should we consider Ed tech to such a broad degree?
5) Gmail extensions - do you use any?
January 29, 2018 11:13 AM PST
Tony and Patrick are at it again. Check out the talking notes for this show!
1) Mobile Phone Shutdown by Tony DePrato
c) A solution for a school in Massachusetts: http://m.wbtv.com/story/37349086/ma-school-locks-students-cell-phones-in-pouches
d) Jumpcloud - https://jumpcloud.com/
e) Yondr - https://www.overyondr.com/howitworks/
f) Laptops and Phones In The Classroom: Yea, Nay or a Third Way? By Anya Kamenetz from NPR: https://www.npr.org/sections/ed/2018/01/24/578437957/laptops-and-phones-in-the-classroom-yea-nay-or-a-third-way?utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=npred
2) MySimpleShow.com - A review by Patrick Cauley
a) The good, the bad and the boring
b) Should schools use it?
3) Tony’s Macbook Pro hell
a) MacBook Pro’s when update to High Sierra (10.13)
b) Loses WiFi connectivity
c) Up to 2 hours per computer to fix
4) Two different takes on a study from Emotion
a) The study: http://psycnet.apa.org/doiLanding?doi=10.1037%2Femo0000403
b) Study: Being a Teen Sucks Right Now by Ed Cara of Gizmodo
d) Screen time: Mental health menace or scapegoat? by Michael Nedelman of CNN
f) A Day in the Life of an MIT student - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMyKOkyAjUQ
4) Could a Messy Desk Make You a Better Teacher by Julie Blume Benedict
b)s Omar right?
January 19, 2018 11:37 AM PST
1) Happy New Year and Welcome Back
2) It’s not just Logan Paul - the moral compass of social media is broken by Katherine Cross of The Verge
c) Should platforms be ultimately responsible for moderation of content
d) How should schools address this issue?
3) Patrick’s Review of Canva
4) Tony’s angry at Gmail and Google Groups
a) Tony is trying to message to all parents using Google Groups
b) Google Groups limits to 100 external emails to be added per day
c) Gmail BBC can hold up to 2000 emails
d) Google Support & MailChimp as solutions
5) Patrick’s take on gaming disorder
b) This won’t last
c) Behavioral Addiction - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Behavioral_addiction
December 19, 2017 11:00 AM PST
This episode Tony and Patrick talk about the latest and greatest ed tech topics plus Patrick's kids pop in to say hi.
1) Much Cheaper iPad Expected in 2018 by Henry T. Casey of laptopmag.com
b) Will this help vs the Chromebook in schools?
2) France to impose total ban on mobile phones in schools by Henry Samuel of the Telegraph
b) Could they actually do this?
c) istraction for schools?
d) FOMO - Fear of Missing Out https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear_of_missing_out
3) Chromageddon Come Down: Educators are Wary After Thousands of Google Devices Fail by Sydney Johnson of edsurge.com
b) Schools here called it Chrompocalypse which is a better name
c) Should schools be deterred by this?
December 06, 2017 10:26 AM PST
1) The buzz be gone!
2) Kiddom - A newish LMS for the classroom
a) An overview video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpwIXxd3nHI
b) A Silicon Valley startup is quietly taking over U.S. Classrooms by Kia Kokalitcheva from Aixos
c) Standards driven
3) Why Perfect Grades Don’t Matter - A Youtube video by The Atlantic
4) What is STEAM Education and Why It is the New Engine of the Future Job Market? By Karol Górnowicz CEO of Skriware
c) MIT Fab Lab - http://fab.cba.mit.edu/
d) Lucid Chart - https://www.lucidchart.com/
November 26, 2017 11:26 AM PST
Tony and Patrick are back for some great ed tech analysis and discussions. Check out our agenda below.
1) Happy Thanksgiving!
2) The Push for Education Programs that Pay People as They Learn by Lolade Fadulu
a) Apprenticeships sound like a good idea
b) Down sides?
c) Does it take away a person’s choice?
3) Does Educational Technology need to be its own discipline in universities?
a) Contours of a New Discipline by Carl Straumsheim
b) Disciplining Education Technology by Audrey Watters of Hackeducation
4) Apple’s ‘Everyone Can Code’ initiative expands to colleges and universities outside the US by Jon Russell at Techcrunch
a) Should high school be doing this?
b) Problems with Apple’s Swift Coding
November 06, 2017 06:02 AM PST
1. Canadian Schools Silence Teachers on Social Media by Andrew Campbell from his blog Looking Up
a.What’s the policy like at your school
b.Trampling on free speech or do schools and districts have the right?
c. How should schools treat this issue?
2. The fight against racist algorithms by Tolulope Edionwe from the Outline
a.Tips for teachers and schools
b.Other sources of information
c.Faceapp - https://www.faceapp.com/
3. How school leaders can combat ‘filter bubbles’ and ‘fake news’ by Scott McLeod from Dangerously Irrelevant
a. Kids and being obsessed with their phones
Tristan Harris - https://journal.thriveglobal.com/how-technology-hijacks-peoples-minds-from-a-magician-and-google-s-design-ethicist-56d62ef5edf3
August 25, 2017 07:21 AM PDT
Tony and I are together in Cincinnati, Ohio to take in a Reds game and talk Ed Tech! Check out our agenda below.
What's been going on?
1) Tony's post on Technology Surveys for New Hires.
2)Patrick is back on Mac – sort of
3) Extortion = Swivl
Crazy prices now
What does it do and why is it popular?
May 30, 2017 06:56 AM PDT
1) Zoom Q8
2) Microsoft news
-We think the Edge browser stinks
-Surface laptop - http://www.techradar.com/reviews/microsoft-surface-laptop
-Surface Pro (5) - https://blogs.windows.com/devices/2017/05/23/meet-new-surface-pro/#tuASGQ8wLX6FXZX8.97
3) Ransomware – It's real!
4) Tony's Rant