January 19, 2018 11:37 AM PST
1) Happy New Year and Welcome Back
2) It’s not just Logan Paul - the moral compass of social media is broken by Katherine Cross of The Verge
c) Should platforms be ultimately responsible for moderation of content
d) How should schools address this issue?
3) Patrick’s Review of Canva
4) Tony’s angry at Gmail and Google Groups
a) Tony is trying to message to all parents using Google Groups
b) Google Groups limits to 100 external emails to be added per day
c) Gmail BBC can hold up to 2000 emails
d) Google Support & MailChimp as solutions
5) Patrick’s take on gaming disorder
b) This won’t last
c) Behavioral Addiction - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Behavioral_addiction
December 19, 2017 11:00 AM PST
This episode Tony and Patrick talk about the latest and greatest ed tech topics plus Patrick's kids pop in to say hi.
1) Much Cheaper iPad Expected in 2018 by Henry T. Casey of laptopmag.com
b) Will this help vs the Chromebook in schools?
2) France to impose total ban on mobile phones in schools by Henry Samuel of the Telegraph
b) Could they actually do this?
c) istraction for schools?
d) FOMO - Fear of Missing Out https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear_of_missing_out
3) Chromageddon Come Down: Educators are Wary After Thousands of Google Devices Fail by Sydney Johnson of edsurge.com
b) Schools here called it Chrompocalypse which is a better name
c) Should schools be deterred by this?
December 06, 2017 10:26 AM PST
1) The buzz be gone!
2) Kiddom - A newish LMS for the classroom
a) An overview video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpwIXxd3nHI
b) A Silicon Valley startup is quietly taking over U.S. Classrooms by Kia Kokalitcheva from Aixos
c) Standards driven
3) Why Perfect Grades Don’t Matter - A Youtube video by The Atlantic
4) What is STEAM Education and Why It is the New Engine of the Future Job Market? By Karol Górnowicz CEO of Skriware
c) MIT Fab Lab - http://fab.cba.mit.edu/
d) Lucid Chart - https://www.lucidchart.com/
November 26, 2017 11:26 AM PST
Tony and Patrick are back for some great ed tech analysis and discussions. Check out our agenda below.
1) Happy Thanksgiving!
2) The Push for Education Programs that Pay People as They Learn by Lolade Fadulu
a) Apprenticeships sound like a good idea
b) Down sides?
c) Does it take away a person’s choice?
3) Does Educational Technology need to be its own discipline in universities?
a) Contours of a New Discipline by Carl Straumsheim
b) Disciplining Education Technology by Audrey Watters of Hackeducation
4) Apple’s ‘Everyone Can Code’ initiative expands to colleges and universities outside the US by Jon Russell at Techcrunch
a) Should high school be doing this?
b) Problems with Apple’s Swift Coding
November 06, 2017 06:02 AM PST
1. Canadian Schools Silence Teachers on Social Media by Andrew Campbell from his blog Looking Up
a.What’s the policy like at your school
b.Trampling on free speech or do schools and districts have the right?
c. How should schools treat this issue?
2. The fight against racist algorithms by Tolulope Edionwe from the Outline
a.Tips for teachers and schools
b.Other sources of information
c.Faceapp - https://www.faceapp.com/
3. How school leaders can combat ‘filter bubbles’ and ‘fake news’ by Scott McLeod from Dangerously Irrelevant
a. Kids and being obsessed with their phones
Tristan Harris - https://journal.thriveglobal.com/how-technology-hijacks-peoples-minds-from-a-magician-and-google-s-design-ethicist-56d62ef5edf3
August 25, 2017 07:21 AM PDT
Tony and I are together in Cincinnati, Ohio to take in a Reds game and talk Ed Tech! Check out our agenda below.
What's been going on?
1) Tony's post on Technology Surveys for New Hires.
2)Patrick is back on Mac – sort of
3) Extortion = Swivl
Crazy prices now
What does it do and why is it popular?
May 30, 2017 06:56 AM PDT
1) Zoom Q8
2) Microsoft news
-We think the Edge browser stinks
-Surface laptop - http://www.techradar.com/reviews/microsoft-surface-laptop
-Surface Pro (5) - https://blogs.windows.com/devices/2017/05/23/meet-new-surface-pro/#tuASGQ8wLX6FXZX8.97
3) Ransomware – It's real!
4) Tony's Rant
April 02, 2017 12:08 PM PDT
1) Tony and Wifi email comment
2) Remix OS on Mobile (ROM)
- Connects your Android device to a screen
- Supports mouse and keyboard input
3) How to effectively destroy school data
-Hard drives in computers
March 17, 2017 07:38 AM PDT
Body cameras in the classroom?
a. http://www.theverge.com/2017/2/8/14545828/uk-schools-body-cameras-trials by: James Vincent
b. Is this a good idea?
c. Thoughts? d. http://www.samsung.com/us/explore/gear-360/?cid=ppc- 2.
Android apps on Chrome OS – officially
a. https://www.technobuffalo.com/reviews/samsung-chromebook-pro-review/ b. Is this a good thing?
b. How would this work with GaFE? i. Play for Education - https://support.google.com/edu/play/answer/6056739?hl=en
c. Any future for the iPad in education?
February 15, 2017 07:55 AM PST
1) Teacher evaluations via video?
Is this a good idea?
Platform for sharing
2) Windows Cloud
A real competitor for Chrome?
Will only run Windows Universal Apps
Windows Docs - https://docs.com/en-us
3) Intel's Compute Card
A modular computer
Designed for IoT but could this be a great solution for schools?