November 26, 2017 11:26 AM PST
Tony and Patrick are back for some great ed tech analysis and discussions. Check out our agenda below.
1) Happy Thanksgiving!
2) The Push for Education Programs that Pay People as They Learn by Lolade Fadulu
a) Apprenticeships sound like a good idea
b) Down sides?
c) Does it take away a person’s choice?
3) Does Educational Technology need to be its own discipline in universities?
a) Contours of a New Discipline by Carl Straumsheim
b) Disciplining Education Technology by Audrey Watters of Hackeducation
4) Apple’s ‘Everyone Can Code’ initiative expands to colleges and universities outside the US by Jon Russell at Techcrunch
a) Should high school be doing this?
b) Problems with Apple’s Swift Coding
November 06, 2017 06:02 AM PST
1. Canadian Schools Silence Teachers on Social Media by Andrew Campbell from his blog Looking Up
a.What’s the policy like at your school
b.Trampling on free speech or do schools and districts have the right?
c. How should schools treat this issue?
2. The fight against racist algorithms by Tolulope Edionwe from the Outline
a.Tips for teachers and schools
b.Other sources of information
c.Faceapp - https://www.faceapp.com/
3. How school leaders can combat ‘filter bubbles’ and ‘fake news’ by Scott McLeod from Dangerously Irrelevant
a. Kids and being obsessed with their phones
Tristan Harris - https://journal.thriveglobal.com/how-technology-hijacks-peoples-minds-from-a-magician-and-google-s-design-ethicist-56d62ef5edf3
August 25, 2017 07:21 AM PDT
Tony and I are together in Cincinnati, Ohio to take in a Reds game and talk Ed Tech! Check out our agenda below.
What's been going on?
1) Tony's post on Technology Surveys for New Hires.
2)Patrick is back on Mac – sort of
3) Extortion = Swivl
Crazy prices now
What does it do and why is it popular?
May 30, 2017 06:56 AM PDT
1) Zoom Q8
2) Microsoft news
-We think the Edge browser stinks
-Surface laptop - http://www.techradar.com/reviews/microsoft-surface-laptop
-Surface Pro (5) - https://blogs.windows.com/devices/2017/05/23/meet-new-surface-pro/#tuASGQ8wLX6FXZX8.97
3) Ransomware – It's real!
4) Tony's Rant
April 02, 2017 12:08 PM PDT
1) Tony and Wifi email comment
2) Remix OS on Mobile (ROM)
- Connects your Android device to a screen
- Supports mouse and keyboard input
3) How to effectively destroy school data
-Hard drives in computers
March 17, 2017 07:38 AM PDT
Body cameras in the classroom?
a. http://www.theverge.com/2017/2/8/14545828/uk-schools-body-cameras-trials by: James Vincent
b. Is this a good idea?
c. Thoughts? d. http://www.samsung.com/us/explore/gear-360/?cid=ppc- 2.
Android apps on Chrome OS – officially
a. https://www.technobuffalo.com/reviews/samsung-chromebook-pro-review/ b. Is this a good thing?
b. How would this work with GaFE? i. Play for Education - https://support.google.com/edu/play/answer/6056739?hl=en
c. Any future for the iPad in education?
February 15, 2017 07:55 AM PST
1) Teacher evaluations via video?
Is this a good idea?
Platform for sharing
2) Windows Cloud
A real competitor for Chrome?
Will only run Windows Universal Apps
Windows Docs - https://docs.com/en-us
3) Intel's Compute Card
A modular computer
Designed for IoT but could this be a great solution for schools?
January 31, 2017 05:33 PM PST
1) Welcome back and happy new year – what were you up to?
2) New Year's Resolutions?
• Tony's 70/30 & 80/20 Curriculum concept • Taking some IT classes
3) Predictions for 2017
• Schools scaling back on Apple • Chromebooks & Surface Pro 4 will continue to grow • Crackdown on BYOD devices
4) Please help Omar! Contact us and we will help you get in touch with him
December 12, 2016 05:44 PM PST
A World Without Work – by Derek Thompson at the Atlantic
Is this possible?
Is technology to blame?
What would this do to education if there is no work?
Is this a good/bad thing?
2)Tony's article Tech Integration: Are you mapping it? On TIE Online
Is it disastrous if a school doesn't map?
What do you say to schools where the tech integrationist also teaches classes?
Should there be more documentation (student artifacts, reflections of teachers, etc.)
4) Tony's adventure with Disney's totally secret research center
November 26, 2016 12:33 PM PST
1) Welcome back Omar!
2) What has Omar been up to
Swift and Code X Curriculum for intro to programming
3) Wrapping IT curriculum around big budget hardware
Not the most creative way to go
Good experience for kids
4) Patrick's new Surface Book